7 Days Virunga Nyiragongo Hike & Tchegera Island tour
7 Days Virunga Nyiragongo Hike & Tchegera Island tour is a week-long safari where travelers get a chance to Explore the Beauty that Congo Safari tours have to offer.
Highlights of the 7 Days Virunga Nyiragongo Hike & Tchegera Island tour
- Day 1: Drive to Gisenyi – Congo Boarder
- Day 2: Virunga Gorilla Trekking – Congo
- Day 3: Nyiragongo Hiking
- Day 4: Descend Nyiragongo
- Day 5: Transfer to Tchegera Island
- Day 6: Another day on Tchegera Island
- Day 7: Transfer to Kigali
Day 1: Drive to Gisenyi – Congo Boarder.
- Transfer to Congo: Depending on your location in Kigali city, meet your guide and connect to cross into Congo via Goma border by 11 am. Check-in with the tourism office strategically located at the Grand Barrier border post to receive Gorilla and Volcano permit that you will present at the beginning of every trek. You will proceed to Kibumba tented camp your accommodation which is located just near the trailhead of Nyiragongo volcano or Bukima tented camp which is just outside Virunga National Park boundary.
Day 2: Virunga Gorilla Trekking – Congo
- Gorilla Trekking: After breakfast, report to Bukima patrol passport with your passport and permit for registration and briefing. This is the point where all treks in Virunga national park begin. Thereafter, head into the forest with your ranger guide and expect to hike about for 1 to 3 hours until you find the mountain Gorillas in Virunga national park When you find them, get to be in awe-inspired by their huge size and gentle nature as you watch and take pictures of them to go about their daily business with mothers tending to the young ones and the juveniles making an effort to impress, how interesting!! You will be allowed to spend about 1-hour maximum before you head back to the camp for lunch and rest at leisure
Day 3: Nyiragongo Hiking
- Nyiragongo Hiking: After breakfast, head up to Kibati – the headquarters and starting point of Nyiragongo hike by 8 am. Meet your ranger guide, a porter and begin your hike. Meals will be provided and you will stay overnight in a wooden shelter at the top. Please note that your Rwanda VISA will expire after crossing into Congo so you will apply for another immediately and you will find it ready on return.
Day 4: Descend Nyiragongo
- Transfer to Goma: This morning, you will descend the Volcano and head down to Kibati by 11:00 am. Here, you will connect with your driver/guide and transfer to Goma for dinner and overnight stay at Linda Hotel.
Day 5: Transfer to Tchegera Island
- Tchegera Island Experience: On this day, you will visit Tchegera Island which is a one of a kind island in the heart of Lake Kivu. This is the best place known for relaxation after hiking the volcano. Cross to the island on a 15 minutes boat ride from Goma harbor. Tchegera Island is a collapsed volcanic caldera located in the middle of Lake Kivu. Relax at the island with great views of the two active volcanos – Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira. Spend a night there; meals will be served at the camp too. If interested, optional activities include; bushwalk and birding, overnight stay at Tchegera Island Camp
Day 6: Another day on Tchegera Island
- Tchegera Island: You will stay yet another day on the island and spend the day at leisure relaxing on the black beach or doing available activities of your choice. Overnight stay at Tchegera Island Camp
Day 7: Transfer to Kigali
- Departure: You will cross the lake back to Goma then cross back to Rwanda via the Goma border and transfer to Kigali. Arrive in Kigali late afternoon and check-in at your own booked accommodation or be dropped off at the airport for your flight back home.
Note that your Rwanda Visa expires immediately you cross into Congo so you will have to reapply for another while at the border and find it ready after the tour.
End of the 7 Days Virunga Nyiragongo Hike & Tchegera Island tour
See also: 6 Days Nyiragongo Hike & Kahuzi Biega