14 Days Classic Uganda Wildlife, Birding, and Primates Safari
14 Days Classic Uganda Wildlife, Birding and Primates Safari: This 14 Days Classic Uganda, Wildlife, Birding and Primates Safaris takes you to through Uganda’s fascinating destinations featuring Sipi falls on the foothills of Mount Elgon, Pian Upe wildlife reserve which is one of Uganda’s newly recognised tourist destinations with raw and beautiful scenery joined to other two wildlife protected areas in the North-eastern part of Uganda, Kidepo national park which is the most remote national park rich in wildlife experience as compared to any other national park in Uganda. Murchison falls national park is a home of the most powerful and strongest falls in Africa, Kibale national park is Africa’s best chimpanzee trekking destination with guaranteed best views of the chimpanzees and other 12 existing primates in the park. It is also a home to 138 species of birds, 250 tree species and 60 species of forest wildlife including forest elephants, bushbucks, warthogs, giant forest hogs and buffaloes. This trip also features a visit to Semiliki national park and reserve, located in Bundibugyo district near Fort portal town adjust to Congo Ituri rain forest. The park is a home to Uganda’s largest Sempaya hot springs, about 53 mammal species and over 400 bird species recorded in this park thus making it one of the top birding destination in Africa earning a title of “True birders Haven” Queen Elizabeth national park is Uganda’s second largest national park with tree climbing lions as its main tourist attraction however the park has a lot more activities to explore depending in the time spent in the park.. Bwindi Impenetrable national park, the world’s habitant for half of the remaining mountain gorillas in the world offering visitors the best experience of gorillas with a maximum adventure for both habituated and semi-habituated gorilla families. This 14 days Classic safari covers 60% of Uganda’s national parks and wildlife reserves.
Safari highlights of the 14 Days Classic Uganda Wildlife Birding and Primates Safari
- Day 1: Pick up and transfer to Sipi falls
- Day 2: Transfer to Pian Upe wildlife reserve
- Day 3: Explore the reserve on a game drive and community tour
- Day 4: Transfer to Kidepo national park – evening game drive
- Day 5: Explore Kidepo national park
- Day 6: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Day 7: Morning game drive and boat cruise and hike to the top of the falls
- Day 8: Transfer to Kibale national park
- Day 9: Chimpanzee trekking, Bigodi swamp and transfer to Semiliki wildlife reserve
- Day 10: Sempaya hot springs visit/nature walk and evening game drive
- Day 11: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park – boat cruise
- Day 12: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Day 13: Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 14: Transfer to Kampala/Entebbe
Day 1: Transfer to Sipi falls
- Transfer to Sipi falls: Early morning, meet your safari guide at a location you will advise in Kampala/Entebbe and embark on your journey to Sipi falls in Kapchwora district, it’s a 6-7 hours’ drive passing through Mabira forest, Jinja and different sugar plantations. Arrive for early lunch in Mbale town then connect to Sipi falls is located in the foothills of Mount Elgon just at the edge of Mount Elgon national park nearing the Kenya border and the falls consist of 3 waterfalls with the highest fall dropping at 100m. Depending on your ability, you can hike 2 of the waterfalls or hike all the 3 falls. Before nightfall return to your lodge for dinner and overnight
Accommodation and meals (En-route lunch and half board)
- Luxury option – Sipi River Lodge
- Mid-range option – Lacum lodge
- Budget option – Casa Sipi falls lodge
Day 2: Transfer to Pian Upe wildlife reserve – evening game drive
- Transfer to Pian Upe wildlife reserve – evening game drive: After breakfast, transfer to Pian Upe wildlife reserve. It is about 2-3 hours’ drive form Sipi falls of Kapchowra district located on foothills of Mount Elgon. Have en-route lunch in one of the close towns to the reserve. Proceed to the reserve and connect for an evening game drive the connect to your accommodation for dinner and overnight stay at your own set up tent near the park headquarters or Uganda Wildlife Authority Bandas for budget option or stay at Karamojong Overland Camp for mid-range option.
Day 3: Explore the reserve on a game drive and community tour
- Explore the reserve on a game drive and community tour:After your breakfast, set off for a morning game drive in the savannah plains to search for reserve residents including the cheetahs, Uganda’s only population of the Roan antelopes, the Elands, Zebras, Hartebeests, Oribis, Gunther’s Dik Dik, Uganda Kobs, Buffaloes, blue and Common Duiker and Impalas to mention a few. Return for lunch and later afternoon; visit a local Karamoja community close to the park for a rare cultural experience in dance and drama performances and also be able to learn more about the community. Before nightfall, return to your camp for dinner and overnight stay
Day 4: Transfer to Kidepo national park – evening game drive
- Transfer to Kidepo national park & evening game drive: After your breakfast, check-out of the lodge and embark on your journey to Kidepo valley national park. The park is located in the far North Eastern part of Uganda taking about 5-6 hours’ drive. The drive is spectacular with great views of the countryside and as you approach Karamonja region. You will have lunch upon check-in your lodge , you will be cleared at the entry and proceed to your accommodation for check-in. Kidepo national park is very beautiful with incredible views of the mountains and hills. Connect for an evening game drive in Narus valley to find some of the animals like the elephants, zebras, buffaloes and many more. Return to the lodge for dinner will be served at your convenience
Accommodation and meals (En-route lunch and half board)
- Luxury option – Apoka Safari lodge/Adere Safari lodge
- Mid-range option – Kidepo Savannah lodge/Nga Moru Wilderness Camp
- Budget option – Apoka Rest Camp
Day 5: Game drive in Kidepo valley and hot springs visit
- Game drive in Kidepo valley and hot springs: After breakfast, drive to the wild for your morning game drive and explore the park in Narus valley. After lunch, drive for a game drive in Kidepo valley in anticipation of seeing some of the animals, the Ostrich birds and also visit the hot springs of Kanangorok before you return to your lodge. Spend the rest the rest of the evening at leisure. Dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 6: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Transfer to Murchison falls: After your cup of Coffee, check-out of the lodge and drive to Murchison Falls National Park-Uganda’s largest national park. The park is a habitat for big 4 game and the great Murchison falls. Have lunch en-route then proceed to enter the park with en-route game drive. Check-in your lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option: Paraa Safari lodge/Nile Safari lodge
- Mid-range option: Pakuba Safari lodge/Murchison River lodge
- Budget option: Heritage Safari Lodge/Red Chill Rest Camp
Day 7: Game drive and boat cruise and hike to the top of the falls
- Game drive: After an early breakfast at your lodge, you will go for a morning game drive on the delta area which is the best place to find most of the animals that reside in the park. The activity takes about 2-3 hours spending on the availability of the animals such as the Savannah Elephants, Rothschild Giraffes, Cape Buffaloes, Lions, Hartebeest, Uganda kobs, Oribis and Waterbucks. After the game drive, you will return to the lodge for lunch.
- boat cruise: Later afternoon, go for a launch cruise on the along the Nile which will give you an exciting panoramic view at the bottom of the mighty Murchison falls. Along the cruise, you will encounter crocodiles, hippos, and birds on the river banks like kingfisher, cormorants and bee-eater. After viewing the falls at the bottom, hike to the top of Murchison falls for better views of the falls. The mighty Murchison falls are the most powerful falls in Africa that force into a narrow gorge of about 7 meters deep creating a strong sound and forming a rainbow occasionally. While at the top, you will meet your driver who will transfer you back to your lodge as above
Day 8: Transfer to Kibale national park
- Transfer to Kibale national park: Wake up early for breakfast, embark on your journey to Kibale national park. This park is Africa’s best primates’ destination with about 13 different primates’ species including the chimpanzees. The park is located in the western part of Uganda taking a full day driving with en-route stop in Fort portal town for late lunch. This drive is exciting with great views of the countryside and the people. Proceed to check-in your lodge for relaxation dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meal (Full board)
- Luxury option: Kyaninga Lodge/Ndali Lodge
- Mid-range option: Chimpanzee Guesthouse
- Budget option: Isunga Lodge/Rweteera Guesthouse
Day 9: Chimpanzee trekking, Bigodi swamp walk and transfer to Semiliki national park
- Chimpanzee trekking: After your breakfast, connect to t
- he park headquarters with your trekking gears and water. Meet with other trekkers and gather for a briefing from the park officials where you will be guided on the expectations of Chimpanzee trekking. Thereafter, in only a group of 12 people and ranger guides/researchers, set off for Chimpanzee trekking. The search may take 2-5 hours depending on their location. The chimpanzees in Kibale are quite easier to find and you will be allowed to spend 1 hour with them on finding them. after lunch, connect to visit Bigodi swamp, the swamp has been recognised to host about 138 bird species and one can be able to see over 50 birds a day. Several primates can also be spotted in the wetland including the black and white Colobus monkeys, Blue Grey Cheeked, Ververt monkeys, Red Colobus monkeys to mention a few. Thereafter, transfer to your booked lodge for check-in, have dinner and overnight.
- Late afternoon, set off to Semiliki national park. It’s a 2-3 hours’ drive to connect to Semiliki wildlife Reserve. Upon arrival, check-in at your booked lodge for dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (Half board)
- Luxury option: Semiliki Safari Lodge
- Mid-range option: Ntoroko Game Lodge
- Budget option: Bugama Cottages
Day 10: Sempaya Hot springs/birdwatching and evening game drive
- Sempaya Hot springs: After your breakfast, drive to visit Sempaya hot springs which are the main attractions of Semiliki national park. These hot springs are the largest in Uganda, divided into female and male however they both have a geyser that shoots up from 8 meters holes with a high temperature of up to 100 degrees Celsius. The strength and hotness of the springs are amazing as one can boil eggs and in few minutes, it is ready to eat. While visiting the hot springs, you will take the trail for birdwatching where you will spot some of the available birds in the park. Return to the lodge for your lunch.
- Evening game drive: Later in the evening, connect for an evening game drive in the park reserve. The park has fewer animals however, you will spot some of the 53 animal species found in the park including; the Bush babies, Elephants, Buffaloes, waterbucks, warthogs, the pygmy scaly-tailed flying squirrel, African Civet o mention a few. Return to your lodge for dinner and overnight
Day 11: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park – boat cruise
- Transfer to Queen Elizabeth: After breakfast, embark on your journey to Queen Elizabeth national park. This park is one of Uganda’s best travel destinations given its variety of attractions. The park is located in the western part of Uganda taking about 4 hours’ drive on the road with en-route stop at the Equator. Proceed to check-in to your booked lodge for lunch.
- boat cruise: Later afternoon, return to the lodge for lunch then connect for a boat cruise on the Kazinga channel. It’s a 2 hours’ boat trip with sights of different bird species, hippos, Crocodiles, Elephants, and Buffaloes to mention a few. Return to you lodge for dinner and overnight.
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option: Mweya Safari lodge/Kyambura Gorge Lodge
- Mid-range option: Parkview Safari lodge/Elephant Hub lodge
- Budget option: Pumba Safari Cottages/Engiri Game lodge
Day 12: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable: After breakfast, transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park. It’s a 5 hours’ drive via Ishasha sector from Queen Elizabeth national park to Buhoma sector of Bwindi forest for an opportunity to spot the tree climbing lions. On arrival at the park, connect to your lodge, check-in for relaxation, dinner and overnight.
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option: Buhoma Lodge/Mahogany Springs Lodge
- Mid-range option: Buhoma Haven lodge
- Budget option: Buhoma Community Rest Camp
Day 13: Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience: On this sixth day of your safari, you will have the same morning preparations at the lodge, have breakfast and transfer to the park headquarters with your trekking gears and packed lunch, meet with other trekkers for briefing about gorilla trekking. After you are allocated a group in groups of 8 people, head into the forest for your trek. Gorilla trekking takes 2 to 8 hours depending on the movement of the gorilla family being visited. These primates roam the park freely and there is no way of telling where they will be for a particular. On finding them, you will be allowed 1 hour to view and take photos of these gentle primates before you descend back to meet your driver/guide and transfer back to your lodge.
- The time after trekking can be spent on a village/community Batwa tour or relaxing off at the lodge as you unwind with a glass of wine with the memories of your gorilla experience in Bwindi. Dinner and overnight booked lodge as above
Day 14: Transfer to Kampala/Entebbe
- Transfer to Kampala/Entebbe: After breakfast, check-out of the lodge and embark on your journey back to Kampala/Entebbe. It’s a 5-6 hours’ drive from Kibale national park to Kampala with en-route lunch. You will be dropped off a location you advise in Kampala be dropped at Entebbe airport for your departure flight back home.
End of the 14 Days Classic Uganda Wildlife Birding and Primates Safari