14 Days Uganda Birding Safari is a 2 weeks safari tour where travelers will be involved in mostly birding excursions blended with other amazing activities like gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Highlights of the 14 Days Uganda Birding Safari
- Day 1: Arrival in Entebbe
- Day 2: Birding in Mabamba swamp & Transfer to Lake Mburo national park
- Day 3: Birdwatching and walking safari
- Day 4: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Day 5: Birdwatching in Mubwindi swamp
- Day 6: Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 7: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Day 8: Birdwatching and boat cruise
- Day 9: Transfer to Kibale national park & Chimpanzee tracking
- Day 10: Birding in the park and Bigodi swamp visit
- Day 10: Birding in the park and Bigodi swamp visit
- Day 11: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Day 12: Birding in the delta area and Budongo forest
- Day 13: Birding and boat cruise
- Day 14: Return to Kampala/Entebbe
Day 1: Arrival in Entebbe
- Arrival: Upon arrival at Entebbe Airport and you will meet your guide and transfer to your hotel. If arrival during the day and time allows you can go bird watching in the Entebbe Botanical Gardens where we can catch up some good bird species. Dinner and overnight at Protea Entebbe Hotel
Day 2: Birding in Mabamba swamp – Lake Mburo national park
- Mabamba Swamp Experience: Wake up early, have breakfast and connect to Mabamba swamp for the shoebill stock bird. Connect to the swamp on a canoe boat, spot of the birds and other water birds.
- Transfer to Lake Mburo: Thereafter, you shall head to the equator for a brief lunch before proceeding to Lake Mburo national park to catch up with the evening savannah species of the park. Dinner and overnight at Mihingo lodge
Day 3: Birdwatching and walking safari
- Canoe Ride: After breakfast, you will head for the morning canoe on Lake Mburo for more water birds like the African Finfoot amidst other birds.
- Walking Safari: After lunch, you shall then bird watch around the park for more savannah species. You will also encounter some of the common animals in the park including the Zebras, Impala, buffaloes, giraffes before heading back to the lodge for relaxation dinner and overnight stay
Day 4: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Transfer to Bwindi: After breakfast, connect for a brief morning bird watching as you drive out of the park to proceed to Bwindi Impenetrable national park-home to the remaining mountain gorillas in the whole world. En-route lunch will be served.
- Bird Watching: After checking-in your lodge, you shall do an evening bird watching along the community trail. Dinner and overnight stay at Bakiga Lodge
Day 5: Birdwatching in Mubwindi swamp
- Mubwindi Swamp Experience: After your breakfast very early, you will then head to Mubwindi Swamp for special Albertine endemic species amidst the higher altitude species. Return to the lodge for meals and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 6: Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla Trekking Experience: On day 6 on this amazing 14 Days Uganda Birding Safari, after early morning breakfast, you will drive to the park headquarters for briefing and go for gorilla trekking. This could take 4-7 hours depending on the movements of the gorillas. After trekking, meet your driver and transfer to Buhoma for birding along the “NECK”. Dinner and overnight at Buhoma Haven Lodge/Silverback Safari lodge
Day 7: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Transfer to Queen: After breakfast, transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park via Ishasha for chances of seeing the tree-climbing lions and other savannah species however not guaranteed. You will have en-route lunch then in evening you shall also do an evening game drive and bird watching then later head back to your lodge. Dinner and overnight stay at Parkview Safari lodge
Day 8: Birdwatching and boat cruise
- Birdwatching and boat cruise: On this day after your early morning breakfast, connect for a morning Birding activity in the park. Return to refresh and have lunch at the lodge. Later afternoon take a boat cruise on the Kazinga channel for more water birds and other animals like the crocodiles and hippos and other land animals like the buffaloes and elephants. Dinner and overnight at lodge as above
Day 9: Transfer to Kibale national park & Chimpanzee tracking
- Transfer to Kibale National Park: Wake up early, have breakfast and depart the lodge for Kibale forest national park with en-route Crater lake visits for some birds species found there.
- Chimpanzee Trekking: Arrive in Kibale mid-morning, have lunch then connect for the afternoon chimpanzee trekking experience after your briefing. It takes about 3-5 hours’ to find the chimpanzees and only an hour for viewing them. This experience is blended with bird sights and other primate species. Return to your lodge to rest and relax. Dinner and overnight stay at Chimpanzee Forest Guesthouse
Day 10: Birding in the park and Bigodi swamp visit
- Bigodi Swamp Experience: Early Morning after breakfast, connect to the park in search for the Green Breasted Pitta and other Forest Birds. After lunch in the afternoon, you shall head for birding the Bigodi wetland Swamp. Dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 11: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Transfer to Murchison Falls: Wake up early and transfer to Murchison falls national park. It is quite a long journey with activities involved so you need more time. You will bird around the Sebitoli as we head to Masindi and you shall find time and bird around the Escarpment for much savannah species. Dinner and overnight is Murchison River lodge
Day 12: Birding in the delta area and Budongo forest
- Delta Birding Experience: After breakfast, connect for a boat trip at the delta area for a birding experience, a shoebill stock bird is also common in this swampy area.
- Budongo Forest: Return for lunch then later afternoon/evening connect for Birding the Royal Mile in Budongo Forest. Return to the lodge for dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 13: Birding and boat cruise
- Boat Cruise Experience: Connect for early morning birding on day 13 of the 14 Days Uganda Birding Safari in the park then later do an afternoon boat cruise for more birds at the River cliffs (Nyamusika cliff) and also view the bottom of the falls.
- Hike to the top of the falls: If you wish, hike to the top of the falls as an optional activity given the hike is tuff and need physical fitness to hike. Dinner and overnight at lodge as above
Day 14: Return to Kampala/Entebbe
- Wrap up & Return to Kampala: After breakfast, you may drive to the top of the falls if you missed the hike previous day with sights of some birds. Thereafter, drive out of the park to proceed back to Kampala City/Entebbe and depending on your flight schedule, you will either be dropped at your own booked hotel in Kampala/Entebbe or be dropped at Entebbe airport for your flight back home. End of the trip.
End of the 14 Days Uganda Birding Safari
See also: 11 Days Tropical Birding Tour